viernes, 23 de marzo de 2012

When telephoning

Introducing yourself
  • This is Ken.
  • Ken speaking

Asking who is on the telephone
  • Excuse me, who is this?
  • Can I ask who is calling, please?

Asking for Someone
  • Can I have extension 321? (extensions are internal numbers at a company)
  • Could I speak to...? (Can I - more informal / May I - more formal)
  • Is Jack in? (informal idiom meaning: Is Jack in the office?

Connecting Someone
  • I'll put you through (put through - phrasal verb meaning 'connect')
  • Can you hold the line? Can you hold on a moment?

How to reply when someone is not available
  • I'm afraid ... is not available at the moment
  • The line is busy... (when the extension requested is being used)
  • Mr Jackson isn't in... Mr Jackson is out at the moment...

Taking a Message
  • Could (Can, May) I take a message?
  • Could (Can, May) I tell him who is calling?
  • Would you like to leave a message? 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario